Pages

Friday, June 18, 2010

Just a random rant, but ...

Everything is a competition, isn't it? For example, there was this competition where you were supposed to send in your entry to win a great prize. And, if you didn't win, no matter, you were still in the competition to win another great prize, if only you voted for the best entry in the original competition! I mean, that's just great, isn't it?!

It kind of relates to what I read on Wiki about a year ago, on Generation Y [my generation!]:

The Millennials are sometimes called the "Trophy Generation", or "Trophy Kids," a term that reflects the trend in competitive sports, as well as many other aspects of life, where "no one loses" and everyone gets a "Thanks for Participating" trophy and symbolizing a perceived sense of entitlement. It has been reported that this is an issue in corporate environments. Some employers are concerned that Millennials have too great expectations from the workplace and desire to shape their jobs to fit their lives rather than adapt their lives to the workplace.

Don't get me wrong, though, I love my competitions, and I love how if you win, you get that much of an industry exposure; and, of course, it looks good on your CV!

No comments: